Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Photos of my Papa... soon to be scrapbooked


I am not sure about you but whenever I have lost someone, I tend to run (not walk) to get all the pictures out I have of that person. I find it very therapeutical. I have always loved taking pictures, every since my first camera in 2nd grade!
I always feel better seeing pictures of the ones I have lost. It reminds me of special memories and times with them. When I lost my Papa in August, I was very heartbroken. My grandparents have always been very special to me. Ever since I was little I would choose to spend time with them! We went to church together and I loved taking the bus to their house. Alzheimers is a devasting disease and I had to watch my grandparents suffer through this disease together. For my grandma, it required a lot of LOVE and patience. They have that though since they were married for 64 years! For my Papa, he knew he was losing his memory and was very frustrated. Once I got over the initial shock of the day he forgot who I was, I made the most of all my moments with him. Even though he didn't remember me most of the time, I know he enjoyed me walking and talking with him. I would pull out pictures and show him the house he built, his 5 children, 9 grandchildren and multiple great-grandchildren.
I still remember one of the last days I spent with him. We were enjoying some outdoor music at a party my mom had put together. He was HAPPY. He was telling me about living in Cape Cod and his wife having 5 children. It was the first time in a few years that I saw his eyes filled with life. He was cracking jokes and was back to his old self. The picture I took of him, was the one used in his obituary and at the Memorial Service. I am so thankful for my memories of him
So what does all this have to do with Scrapbooking? Scrapbooking is a WONDERFUL way to preserve your photos and memories. I am working on some new pages with some of these photos of my Papa and look forward to adding them to my album.

I am so happy for MEMORIES, pictures and for my family!

I Miss you & Love You Papa!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I love this post, Erica. It is so true what you have shared about scrapbooking and preserving our memories.

Lisa in Texas said...

So true Erica! I am so glad you had those wonderful times with your Grandfather, what great memories and what great stories to share with your boys! These are awesome pictures, can't wait to see the pages you create with them!

Melanie said...

What precious memories and photographs! I look forward to seeing your layouts!

Lynette Jacobs said...

What wonderful memories Erica...you were so very blessed to have such a wonderful relationship with your grandpa. I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to scrap this.

Unknown said...

beautiful post! Can't wait to see you scrap them.

Kelly said...

I couldn't agree more - scrapbooking can be therapy in helping to remember those we've lost. I totally understand and look forward to your pages!! Great post Erica!

Amy Pitts said...

Oh what a wonderful heartfelt post. Your grandfather is adorable and how blessed that you were able to get to a point where you both could enjoy each others company. I have never had to experince alhemiers up close and personal like that. I cannot wait to see the pages you create with all of your wonderful memories of his life.