Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 4 - How We Became A Kit Club

How we transitioned into a Kit Club:

    So if you read yesterday's blog, you know how PersonalScrapper started. But now you may be wondering how did I go from scrapbooking for others to a kit club? Late 2003, I knew Parenting Magazine was going to run an article about me in their magazine. Here are a few pictures from our photo shoot :)






       The article was set to come out in April 2004.  At the same time, I was getting very busy with projects but realizing I was not charging enough for all of the time I put into it.  Most of my clients loved the thought of scrapbooking but didn't think they were creative enough.  I tried to think of a way to get people to start scrapbooking for themselves.  I decided to start a kit club.  In this "club", we would pick products and send them an idea sheet to help them scrapbook.  We would treat it like a magazine subscription. 

       I only found 2 other companies doing something similar.  One of them made their own paper and the other one didn't include ideas.  I didn't want to create my own paper, i wanted to put together my "favorite" products and show people how to use them.  We started out online in January 2004 (after testing it in December with local customers).  It was great!  We were so excited to get our first customer (that wasn't someone I already knew).  That is how PersonalScrapper.com kit club was born. 

      I have watched a ton of kit clubs come and go in the past 8 years.  We are so happy to be the first one to make it to 100 kits.  The economy has been rough on scrapbooking businesses and sometimes scrapbooking is considered a luxury item.  I am just so happy to help people preserve their memories for their families!!

Today's scrapbook challenge:

   Do a scrapbook page about how you started scrapbooking? or maybe a layout of a crop or your scrap space?  Maybe write your story on why you scrapbook.  If none of these apply to you, scrapbook a special story.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great story Erica! I love hearing how you got started and love even more the kits you provide over and over!! :)

Lisa in Texas said...

Wow! Great story, love the pics too!

arla said...

Great story Erica!

Melanie said...

What a great story...Parenting Magazine...WOW!

I love the pictures!!!

Amy Pitts said...

Wow look at you all famous and stuff. How cute are you and in Parenting Magazine. Who knew I was hanging out scrapbooking with a celeb. ;) Love love love the story and so glad that everything lined up the way it did. I have a great story in mind for my page now I just have to find some photo's to go along with it.

Lydia said...

What a great story! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Nancy M in NJ said...

Good for you for taking the chance and following your dream! :)

Melanie said...

Congratulations, Erica! So happy for you :)